Undergraduate Admissions Information
For information regarding applying for Undergraduate Admissions at the Townsend School of Music, please visit bethebear.com.
Graduate Admissions Information
Admissions Information for Master of Music Degrees
International students for whom English is a second language must take the Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL).
All application materials and supporting materials (transcripts, letter of recommendation, test scores where applicable) should be arranged well in advance so that you can include them in your application packet (except for test scores, which come directly to Mercer).
All application materials listed below should be mailed in one envelope and must be received by July 1:
- Completed Application Form with nonrefundable application fee of $100 (U.S.) payable to Mercer University. This fee must accompany the application.*
- Official transcripts of all academic records sent in a sealed envelope from all college and universities attended.*
- Curriculum vitae (summarizing academic, performance, and employment information). Optional: examples of involvement in liturgical, musical, or artistic activities.*
- Repertory list of major performance area.*
- A writing sample, such as a term paper, thesis, course paper, etc.
- A short essay (500-1,000 words) relating your goals pertaining to this degree.
- Three letters of recommendation, each in a sealed envelope with the recommender's signature across the seal. The Recommendation Form should accompany each letter of recommendation.
- Official scores from TOEFL (if applicable).
*Only the supporting materials, which are asterisked, are required to complete the Application for Admission for those students seeking matriculation into the Artist Diploma Program.
Submit the Application Form, all supporting materials, and any other communication to:
Graduate Music Admissions
Townsend School of Music
1501 Mercer University Drive
Macon, GA 31207
Phone: (478) 301-2748/ (800) 840-8577, Ext 2748
FAX: (478) 301-5633
For Graduate Audition Requirements, please go to Appendix K of the Graduate Student Handbook by clicking this link: music.mercer.edu/www/mu-music/programs/handbook/upload/Graduate-Handbook-2019-2020.pdf. Please make all arrangements for your audition through the Director of Graduate Studies.
Pre-requisites for the Master of Music in Church Music Degree
Survey of Old or New Testament:
CHR 101 Old Testament
or CHR 150 New Testament
Survey of Church History:
CHR 210 History of Christianity
or CHR 370 History of Christian Theology
Survey of Theology:
CHR 300 Introduction to Christian Theology
or CHR 320 New Testament Theology
Assistantships and Fellowships
Assistantships cannot be awarded until application and supporting materials are received and the student has been accepted into the graduate program.
Without an assistantship or fellowship, tuition for the Master of Music program is $685 per semester hour. Typically, graduate students take between 9 and 12 credits per semester, but are allowed to take a maximum load of 14 credits per semester. In addition to tuition, students who are not receiving an assistantship or fellowship are charged a standard applied lesson fee for private study.
The Townsend-McAfee Institute and Townsend School of Music award several assistantships per year. Assistantships require 6-10 hours of work per week in a music related job, pay half of the tuition cost, and eliminate fees related to private study. Students who receive an assistantship pay $342.50 per semester hour of credit without any other fees. Assistantships require students to enroll in at least six hours per semester.
Townsend School of Music awards one Graduate Fellowship per year. Highly competitive and based on student applications/auditions and needs of the school, Graduate Fellowships cover 100% of the cost of tuition and fees per semester. Fellowships require 6-10 hours of work per week in a music related job at Townsend School of Music. As well, recipients are required to enroll in at least nine graduate hours per semester.