The Townsend School of Music fosters excellence in musical learning within the context of a comprehensive university environment. Undergraduate and graduate studies prepare musicians for careers in performance, music education, church music, and musical scholarship.
- To offer undergraduate, graduate, and professional programs in music based
upon a strong liberal arts foundation.
- To equip student musicians with the necessary artistic skills for excellence in
performance, scholarship, and teaching.
- To promote lifelong learning and musical development.
- To develop an understanding of the role of the arts and artists in society.
- To collaborate with other units within the University to develop in all students an
awareness of the artistic, creative, and aesthetic dimensions of the whole
- To join in partnership with community, regional and national music and artistic
organizations to assist with helping students make a contribution to their
respective fields of study.
- To foster the acquisition of critical thinking, writing, and communication skills.
- To support an engaged and highly qualified music faculty