Vocal Studies in the Townsend School of Music has a long tradition of excellence. Mercer voice majors continually place high in regional competitions and are routinely accepted into prestigious graduate schools. Mercer alumni are making successful careers nationwide in performance, music education, and sacred music.
Degrees offered in Vocal Studies include:
- Bachelor of Music in Performance
- Bachelor of Music Education
- Bachelor of Arts in Music
- Master of Music in Performance
- Master of Music in Church Music
- Master of Music in Choral Conducting
Vocal Studies Graduates of the Townsend School of Music are:
- Singing in national and international companies, including the Metropolitan Opera
- Winning state and regional competitions of the National Association of Teachers of Music
- Singing in competitions sponsored by various opera companies
- Accepted in nationally recognized advanced programs of study and graduate school
- Working as professional singers, church musicians, as college and university professors of music
- Primary and secondary school music educators
Vocal Studies Faculty
Dr. Martha Malone, soprano. Professor, Chair of Vocal Studies, and Director of Opera. Doctor of Musical Arts from the University of Cincinnati College Conservatory of Music.
Dr. Richard Kosowski, tenor. Assistant Professor. Doctor of Musical Arts from the University of Houston (TX).
Dr. Carol Goff, piano. Coach and Accompanist. Associate Professor, Coordinator of Collaborative Piano. Doctor of Musical Arts in Piano Performance and Accompanying from the University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign.
Nancy Rehberg, Senior Adjunct Lecturer in voice.
Marie Jarriel Roberts, Adjunct Lecturer in voice.