Vocal Studies in the Townsend School of Music has a long tradition of excellence. Mercer voice majors continually place high in regional competitions and are routinely accepted into prestigious graduate schools. Mercer alumni are making successful careers nationwide in performance, music education, and sacred music.
Degrees offered in Vocal Studies include:
- Bachelor of Music in Performance
- Bachelor of Music Education
- Bachelor of Arts in Music
- Bachelor of Music with Elective Studies in an Outside Field
- Master of Music in Performance
- Master of Music in Church Music
- Master of Music in Choral Conducting
Vocal Studies Graduates of the Townsend School of Music are:
- Singing in national and international companies, including the Metropolitan Opera, Lyric Opera of Chicago, Canadian National Opera, Deutsche Oper Berlin, Teatro Colon Buenos Aires, Atlanta Opera, Florida Grand Opera, and Philadelphia Opera
- Winning state and regional competitions of the National Association of Teachers of Music, Metropolitan Opera National Council Auditions, Belvedere Competition (Vienna), Brian Law Opera Competition (Canada), Palm Beach Opear, and Birmingham Opera.
- Singing in competitions sponsored by various opera companies
- Accepted in nationally recognized advanced programs of study and graduate school
- Working as professional singers, church musicians, as college and university professors of music
- Primary and secondary school music educators
Vocal Studies Faculty
Dr. Richard Kosowski, tenor. Chair of Vocal Studies, Associate Professor, and Music Director of Mercer University Opera. Doctor of Musical Arts from the University of Houston (TX).
Dr. Martha Malone, soprano. Professor and Director of Opera. Doctor of Musical Arts from the University of Cincinnati College Conservatory of Music.
Marie Jarriel Roberts, Senior Adjunct Lecturer in voice.